Each year, National Nurses Week runs May 6-12, which coincides with Florence Nightingale’s birthday on the 12th. It's intended to recognize nurses for their highly specialized knowledge, critical thinking skills and seemingly never-ending compassion.
Many businesses take the opportunity to show their gratitude through special offers and freebies. Here are some for this year.
- Chipotle – Nominated fellow healthcare workers have a chance to receive free Chipotle for a year. Tag a colleague on Chipotle’s Nurses Week Instagram, Facebook or Twitter post by May 6.
- Mrs. Fields – Selling a sweet selection of cookies in the Heroes Collection of cookie tins, which honors healthcare workers.
- Outback Steakhouse – Show your job identification to get 10% off your bill. (Not available in online ordering.)
- Amazon – Offering a four free medical drama books, specially for nurses.
- Adidas – Receive 30% off in-store and on the Adidas website, and 20% off at factory outlet stores, when you verify your status as a nurse with ID.me.
- All Seasons Uniforms – 20% off all medical apparel, such as scrubs, lab coats and cleanroom clothing. Use discount code NURSE20.
- ASICS – Medical professionals and first responders, including nurses, physicians, police officers and firefighters, can enjoy 40% off ASICS products. Verify your healthcare worker status using SheerID to get a one-time-use promo code.
- Brooklyn Bedding – Get 25% off and free shipping on mattresses, pillows, sheets and/or foundations. Verify your eligibility via ID.me during checkout.
- Lenovo – Take an extra 5% off products sitewide, excluding doorbuster deals and select clearance products. Verify your healthcare worker status with ID.me during checkout.
- L.L.Bean – 15% off one purchase after verifying your employment status through SheerID. Valid on purchases at llbean.com, retail stores or by phone.
- Lululemon - Receive 15% off in-store or online purchases.
- Nike – All medical professionals and first responders in the U.S. are eligible for a 10% discount. Verify your profession as a nurse with SheerID to get a one-time-use promo code.
- Purple – Take 10% off any order purchased at purple.com or Purple retail showrooms, after verifying employment status through SheerID. Click on the “Verify Eligibility” button to start the process. Once approved, you will receive a single-use promotional code to use at checkout.
- Ring – 20% savings on select Ring Doorbell products.
- Rothy’s – 20% off a pair of washable shoes. Verify your nurse status, and claim the savings at online checkout.
- Under Armour – 20% off at UA.com and in UA Brand House stores. Choose the Military and First Responder Discount at checkout, and then verify your status as a nurse with ID.me.
- Verizon – Get a Start Unlimited plan from $30 per line with four lines.
- Vineyard Vines – Save 15% on all apparel with a verified medical ID.
- Budget Car Rentals – A discount of up to 25% for nurses. Create an ID.me account, or sign in to get offer.
- Enterprise Rent-a-Car – Similar to the Budget discount, nurses, military members and teachers can take up to 25% off their rental car. An ID.me account is required to access this discount.
- National Rental Cars – For nurses through ID.me, up to 25% off.
Meanwhile, some nurses have reported their employers have shown their appreciation in less than ideal ways. Some report receiving lollipops ("for days that suck") and pet rocks (painted with the words "you rock").
No joke. And many nurses now wait for Nurses Week to post memes about their employers' gift fails.
In response, the job search website connectRN has launched "Nurses' Weak Gifts," where anemic gifts can be exchanged for proper presents. Nurses can share a photo of their most ridiculous employer gifts on social media and tag connectRN. If they're among the first 1,200 to submit, they'll receive thoughtful gift boxes of scented candles, gourmet chocolates, and tea with mugs.