Have you ever skipped a human social function to spend time with your pet? According to the New York Post, more than half of American dog owners say they've done just that. The Post article sites a study released by Link AKC, makers of a smart dog collar that tracks activity, location, health stats, and more.
The study's findings point to the positive, often therapeutic, effects of dog ownership. Here are a few of the highlights...
- 82% of respondents said they experienced an improvement in their mental and emotional health
- 68% noted an improvement in their physical health as well
- 62% find that their dog motivates them to exercise and get out of the house more
- 60% said that their dog takes care of them in some way
- 40% feel that a dog has helped them deal with the loss of a loved one